Pages

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Crockpot Chicken Stock


OK - so for once this photo isn't blurry, but damn is it an ugly representation of the goodness known as this easy crockpot chicken stock.

I was trolling through the blogosphere when I came across this recipe and since I had a frozen chicken carcass in the freezer, needed to make room for about five years worth of cheesy potatoes and have been looking for a better recipe than my half-assed attempt that I've cobbled together, I was intrigued.

I got this from Vintage Victuals who adapted this from "The Joy of Cooking."

Basic Chicken Stock
adapted from The Joy of Cooking

1 chicken carcass
4 quarts of water
10 pepper corns
6 whole cloves
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons parsley (**did not have)
1 teaspoon thyme
1 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
3 medium carrot, peeled and diced
3 ribs of celery, roughly chopped

Place the chicken carcass in your crock pot. Pour the water over it and add the rest of the ingredients. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours; on high 3-5 hours. I left this batch on low overnight.

Strain well. Refrigerate or freeze until you are ready to use your stock!

No comments: