Pages

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Domestic female seeking ...

... crockpot and soup recipes. It's getting to be that time of year when I love hot food but am too lazy to cook when I get home. (What else is new, right?) But since the grill has gone the way of the corner of the garage, I'm ready to fire up the crock pot.

Feel free to leave me a comment or shoot me an email at shelleybakes@gmail.com

Let me get you started with this gem from About.com:


Crockpot Lasagna


Ingredients:
2 pounds lean ground beef
2 onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
48-ounce jar chunky pasta sauce
8-ounce can tomato sauce
14-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
3/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
15-ounce container part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 egg, beaten
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
16 ounce package mafalda noodles (mini lasagna noodles)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preparation: In a large skillet, brown ground beef with chopped onions and garlic. Season with season salt and pepper to taste. Drain thoroughly. Add spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and water. Simmer 10 - 15 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine ricotta cheese, parsley, egg, and beat well. Add half of the mozzarella cheese. In 5-6 quart crockpot, pour 1 cup of the beef sauce. Then top with a layer of mafalda noodles. Top with1 cup mozzarella cheese, more ground beef sauce, then a layer of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers to fill crockpot 3/4 full. Cover crockpot and cook on low for 6-7 hours - DO NOT STIR. Top with Parmesan cheese and serve. Serves 8-10.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I make this on a regular basis in the winter. Instead of 2 lbs of ground beef I use 1 lb of ground beef and 1 lb of pork sausage. This a great meal to come home to on a chilly winter day.

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

Thanks for the suggestion!

Jodi said...

Ooooh, this sounds great! Now if I could only remember where I put my crockpot. I think I may have a couple good crockpot recipes I'll send your way.